Have you ever heard of a Hot Chocolate Bomb? These chocolate spheres are actually made of tempered chocolate filled with hot cocoa mix, mini marshmallows, and sometimes sprinkles. Place the chocolate bomb into a mug of hot milk and watch as it melts away creating a delicious cup of hot cocoa! Want to find out how to make one? Well, you may find that it is easier than you think, so keep reading.
Tempering the chocolate is what gives these hot chocolate bombs their shiny finish. Though tempering chocolate may have a reputation of being a little difficult, with these few simple steps, you’ll be able to make them with no problem.
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate bar or chips
- 6 tbsp hot chocolate powder mix
- 1 cup mini marshmellows
- Sprinkles for decorating optional
- 6 cups of milk to enjoy with your hot chocolate bomb
You’ll also need a silicone mold to make these hot chocolate bombs in. Can they be made without a mold? Yes! If you’re really in a pinch, you can use parchment paper cupcake liners to create a bomb, but this will not have the bomb shape. Brush the bottom side of the liners with the tempered chocolate. After letting them sit, fill them with cocoa mix, then apply another layer of tempered chocolate over your filling. Make sure to smooth the top with a spoon, and you’re good to go.
- 2 (2-inch) silicone sphere molds with 6 holes or parchment paper cupcake liners
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large heatproof bowl (glass or stainless steel)
- Medium pot to use for the double-boiler method
- 1 rubber spatula
- Parchment paper
- 2 Baking sheets 1 can also be used
- 2 latex gloves
Melting the Chocolate- Double Boiler Method
- Fill a medium pot almost halfway with water. Over low heat, bring the water to a simmer.
- Place a heat-safe bowl on top of the pot of simmering water. Make sure there is a slight gap between the water and the bottom of the bowl.
- Add the 12-oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips into the bowl. Keep the heat on low and use a rubber spatula to stir the melting chocolate chips until completely smooth.
- Remove the chocolate and place aside. It should be about body temperature. You can test it on your hand.
- Add a spoonful of melted chocolate to each of the 6 chocolate molds. Make sure to coat the entire inside of each mold evenly with chocolate. You can save the extra chocolate for use later.
- Freeze the chocolate for 10 minutes or until completely set.
- Once they’re set, carefully remove the chocolate cups from the mold and place them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Assembling the Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Flip over three mold to be filled. Fill each of the 3 halves with about 2 tbsp of hot cocoa powder mix and 1 tbsp of mini marshmallows. Set these aside
- Place the other 3 halves face down onto a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet over a pot of warm water to allow the rims of the chocolate molds to slightly melt.
- With gloves on, cover each of the filled chocolate molds with your empty half to seal it.
- Decorate with any extra melted chocolate, sprinkles, or other candy. Store these at room temperature!
To make your hot chocolate, simply add a chocolate bomb into a mug of hot milk. You can pour the milk over the bomb, or place it into a ready-made mug. Either way, be sure to sip slowly and enjoy!